In most cases, no treatment will be needed. Other times, heart palpitations are treated with lifestyle changes or medication.
To help control heart palpitations, simple lifestyle changes can be implemented:
- Reduce your anxiety level with deep breathing or relaxation exercise such as yoga or tai chi
- Limit alcohol
- Limit caffeine
- Avoid smoking and tobacco products
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid activities and medications that seem to trigger the palpitations
- Avoid illegal drugs
Your healthcare team may decide that your heart palpitations can be controlled with medication or by making changes to your current medication. After determining the cause of your palpitations, your doctor can prescribe the appropriate medication.
These quick and easy tools are designed to provide your doctor with information that may help guide your care. Complete them and take the answers to your next doctor’s visit
- Mayou R. Chest pain, palpitations and panic. J Psychosom Res 1998;44:53-70.
- Kroenke K, Arringon ME, Mangelsdroff AD. The prevalence of symptoms in medical outpatients and the adequacy of therapy. Arch Intern Med 1990;150:1685-9.
- Knudson MP. The natural history of palpitations in a family practice. J Fam Pract 1987;24:357-60.